Friday, September 30, 2011

Saved by the Thundershirt - A Dog Lovers Miracle

Well since for some reason I can't get the photos I wanted off my digital camera to blog about what I really wanted to.  I am going to blog about the Thundershirt.  Every one has heard about my little wild man, Bubba.  Bubba is a silky terrier that like a lot of little dogs likes to bark all the time.  We were at the end of our wits with him and I had tried everything except a shock collar to get him to stop.  I feel really bad shocking a 10 lb dog so I was willing to try anything.  Also from what I have read if the barking is caused by anxiety, most times "punishing" the dog has no effect.  I originally saw the ad for the Thundershirt on TV (which yes I know a tv infomercial) but after doing some research online, I found mixed reviews it worked for some but not others.  I think a lot of Bubba's barking issues were due to anxiety so I decided to give it a try.


Above is Bubba in his Rugby Thundershirt.  A Thundershirt is an anxiety pressure wrap and for Bubba it seems to work.  It is a neoprene type material that fits fairly snugly.  I have had it for almost a week, which is definitely long enough for him to get use to it.  He is a lot calmer and barks a lot less.  Granted he still barks at the occasional passing car or if another dog is in the yard, but it is definitely not to the extent that he barked before.  I don't make him wear it all the time. When we go for a walk, when he is home alone, or when its just me at home and he is being good, I leave it off of him.

Thundershirt comes with a 45 day money-back guarantee, so it is worth a try.  I ordered mine through Amazon which has an awesome return policy anyways.  Bubba's was  little pricey at $44.95 for the rugby edition, but so far it has been money well spent.  For all the dog owner's that want a humane way to stop the barking, give it a try!  If it doesn't work for you send it back!

No comments:

Post a Comment