Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Peppermint & Patchouli

This past weekend, I decided to try to make my own candles.  I had purchased the supplies awhile ago and had not gotten around to give it a try.  I chose to use soy wax b/c it is easier to melt using the microwave and cleans up with soap and water.  Being rather clumsy, sometimes I tend to shy away from things that can burn me horribly, but this actually went very well with only one small burn on my hand, but that was my own stupidity.  I ordered my supplies from Creative Illuminations , they were cheaper on the cost of the soy flakes but shipping costs were rather high so I may look into an option closer to home.  If anyone knows where you can get soy candle making supplies in Northern NY, please let me know.

So this is what you will need:


1 lb of soy wax flakes (I got the 135 b/c it was recommended for containers)
1 oz fragrance (I love Peppermint)
Clean and Dry Jar (I used an old Ball Jar b/c I love the look of them)
Cotton Wicks
Optional - Dye Block (I used Fire Engine Red)
At least a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup
Glue

I started by gluing the tab the wick is to the center inside of the jar.  Super Glue should probably be used, but on several occassions super glue and I have had disagreements and somehow I end up gluing my fingers together, so I stuck with Elmers :).  Let the glue dry fully, if you are impatient like me get the blow dryer out.

Place half the soy wax flakes in your Pyrex measuring cup and microwave for five minutes.  Use caution b/c the measuring cup will be extremely hot (how i burned myself)  The flakes should be completely melted add the rest of your 1lb bag of flakes, stir together and microwave for another 5 minutes.

Add your entire 1 oz bottle of fragrance (1lb of wax needs 1 oz of fragrance) and stir together.

If you want to color your candle, place the dye block (i only used half) in a coffee mug and microwave until it is melted (about 1 min) and add to the fragrance/wax mixture.

Now it is time to pour.  Use the spout on the measuring cup to slowly pour the wax into the jar.  I poured until it is 1/2 inch from the top.  Then I realized that I still had wax left so I quickly prepared a votive container and poured the rest into it as well.

To center the wick, I found it was easiest to attach a clothespin to the top of the wick (which I dropped the clothespin in the wax and had to fish out before I finally got this to work)  And then just lay the clothespin over the top of the jar in the center and leave it until the wax has settled.

:) notice the clothespin is a little red
The finished product:



       

I also made a second batch that went 10x smoother, but I used Patchouli fragrance instead and left the candles white. The process was very easy and quick and the candles burn nicely and throw the fragrance very well.  All in all for just the supplies which made 2 ball jar candles and 2 smaller votive size candles, it cost about $15 (without the shipping).  So if I can find this closer to home, I will definitely be making all my own candles.  It is a great way to recycle old jars as well.  Also if you want to make tarts for your melter, the wax can be reused and re-fragranced over and over.  The next time I'm going to try to swirl the color!

Makes a great Christmas gift!  Give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment