Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cute Upcycled Floral Sheet Ruffled Scarf

So I got this pretty floral sheet for free.  I tried cutting it into strips and crocheting it into a scarf or basket but it just didn't show off the cute flowers enough for my liking.  So I decided to try making a scarf out of it, this was also my first attempt using elastic thread, which I discovered is amazing!  I had been warned that it can be very hard to work with and was a little scared, but I had no issues what so ever, I used my machines bobbin winder to put it on the bobbin and sewed using a regular stitch and it turned out perfect.  (Surprisingly considering for me normally anything the can go wrong does)



All I did was cut a strip of the sheet, about 10 inches wide.  I sewed a half inch from the edge all the way around and then with the elastic thread on the bobbin, made two rows of stitches up the entire length of the strip, about 1/3 of the way across and then again at about 2/3 of the way across.  Then I just snipped the edges to give it a frayed look.  Throw it in the dryer with damp clothes or a damp wash cloth and the elastic will shrink right up.  I am going to make a fancier version to wear at an upcoming wedding so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment