Monday, February 28, 2011

Yummy Health Breakfast - Crepes with Strawberries, Bananas and Nutella

This weekend I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to, but there is always next weekend!  I did get to go snowmobiling which may be the last time this year since it is raining today, which I'm not sure if I am happy or sad about the rain.  Anyways, sunday morning I had the BF's mom and grandma over for breakfast since he was working and decided to make crepes.  Crepes are actually very easy to make and can be a healthy alternative to pancakes. Check out the recipe below from Prevention.

 

PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES + 1 HOUR RESTING /COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES / MAKES 4 SERVINGS

The key to successful crêpes is a pan that allows the crêpes to release easily without sticking.
Crêpes can be made ahead of time, separated with foil, parchment, or waxed paper, then
wrapped and refrigerated until ready to use.

CRÊPES
1/2 c all-purpose flour  (I used King Arthur Whole Wheat White Flour)
1 Tbsp sugar (I used Splenda)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 c fat-free milk

FILLING
2 c strawberries, sliced
1 banana, sliced
2 tsp sugar (I used Splenda)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 Tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread, such as Nutella, warmed  (I used less, only lightly coated each crepe)


 1. TO MAKE THE CRÊPES: Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together the eggs and milk in a separate bowl. Whisk the egg mixture into the flour mixture until well combined. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight. (I didn't let mine rest and they came out fine)

2. PREHEAT the oven to 275°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

3. COAT a nonstick crêpe pan or 8" skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.Pour 3 tablespoons of crêpe batter into the pan, tipping to coat the bottom evenly.Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes per side, until lightly browned. Repeat 7 more times with the remaining batter. Stack the crêpes as you work and cover to keep warm.

4. TO MAKE THE FILLING: Combine the strawberries,banana, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl.

5. ARRANGE the crêpes on a work surface. Spread each with 1 1/2 teaspoons chocolate-hazelnut spread in a straight line across the center. Top the spread with 6 tablespoons of the strawberry mixture, then roll up jellyroll style. Transfer the crêpes to the baking sheet, seamside up. Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until the filling is warm.



Nutritional Info Per Serving: (1 serving = 2 filled crêpes)
280 cal, 9 g fat, 2.5 g sat fat, 135 mg sodium, 44 g carb, 3 g fiber, 9 g pro, 10% calcium

In my version by using Splenda, I came out to about 220 calories and I had a small glass of juice, so my breakfast totaled about 300 calories and for Sunday breakfast that is not bad at all, and boy were they tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment