Friday, October 14, 2011

The UGG Boot Dying Project - Trial 1

Everyone who lives through the salty North Country winters knows it reeks havoc on Ugg boots.  My brown pair, which are going on 3 years old and still in great shape other than the lighter spots on the toes from the salt.  I would consider this first trial semi-successfully my Uggs are a little darker, but still not what I want them to be, so I will have a Trial 2 to post later.  

My Uggs before:





Step 1:  Soak your Uggs with Hot Water
Step 2:  Fill a large bucket with hot water (I did this in the tub and then brought it outside to prevent a mess)
Step 3:  Add bottle of dye and stir with a stick to mix in and then add your uggs (you may have to like wedge them down with something to make sure they stay all in the dye)
Step 4: Let soak for 30 - 40 minutes
Step 5: Rinse (This is where I think I went wrong, I rinsed mine immediately with cold water from the hose and I think I should have down it in the sink with hot water then going gradually to cool, I am going to try this  in Trial 2)
Step 6.  I stuffed my Uggs with newspaper to keep them standing up and to help them dry, they will take several days to dry.  

The finished product: (ignore the grass)



They dont' look too much darker in the picture but to the eye they are a shade darker.  I will be trying this again though so watch for my results from Trial 2!

1 comment:

  1. Janessa: This is awesome! I love it! Do you think that maybe the salt just needed to be washed out in the first go-round? I don't have UGGS, but I have another pair of leather boots I'd like to try this with. This is totally something I'd do!

    ReplyDelete